HEY I got a wonderful thing in the mail today! The Akashiya Bamboo Body Brush Pen!
When I was trying to work on my comic last week, I noticed that my brush pens were all kind of lackluster. The Pentel brush pen I’ve used for most of the time has a really thick ink that takes forever to dry and smears a lot. It also has a thick brush end that is not always easy to control. The other pens I ordered from JetPens in the past were all kind of wearing out due to the fact that they are not intended to be reused for long periods of time. So I decided to try my hand at a new and refillable brush pen…
The Akashiya Bamboo came up in the search as having high ratings, AND it was affordable! (Many of the other pens came out at $40-50+!)
So shortly after receiving it and tearing the package open with much excitement I decided to put together another test page to get a feel for it.
- Comes with 2 refills (I wound up buying a pack anyway).
- Varying line widths, easy to control (for the most part, see con about that in “cons”)
- Solid ink, dries fast.
- From the looks of it mostly waterproof with a degree of variation. No real smears/smudges/bleeding until I decided to draw a few lines on the wet paper, but that was mostly to see the ink migrate because I think it looks pretty.
- No smears with markers either!
- Capping the pen is easier than with some, but even so there is space to fray the brush tip. This is not so much a design con as leaves enough room for user error.
- Very soft brush sometimes difficult to get a handle on drawing fine lines; this is something that will take getting used to because I see that it is capable of it.
- Ink flow still unpredictable, not easy to control. The Pentel I used previously I could squeeze the body of if I needed more ink, this guy has a solid body. Line is inconsistent when drawing fast, but I kind of like that texture so I’m not sure how big of an issue that is.
- There is no “clip” on the cap, so I cannot attach it to anything.
Overall I’m VERY pleased with this pen, and I have a feeling the more I use it the more I will get used to the “cons” and working around them. Exciting purchase! :)
- aghht likes this
- applewaffles said: Oh man I’ve been jonsing for a new brush pen forever and have been having trouble finding a good one. Definitely gonna look into this! ^o^
- applewaffles likes this
- xmonrogue likes this
- bringingdinosaursback likes this
- haetae likes this
- -dizmal- likes this
- akstatic posted this